The Similan Islands National Park is a major attraction for visitors to Khao Lak.
Known for long white coral sand beaches and crystal blue waters with cooling breezes coming off the Andaman Sea there are nine uninhabited islands in the archipelago with some of the best scenery in Thailand.
The Islands are very easy to visit being located only 60 km west from Khao Lak. They can be visited for one day or for varying overnight durations, either independently or more usually as part of an organized tour.
Accommodation is in simple bungalows or tents provided by the National Park Authority. Recognized as providing some of the best diving and snorkelling in the world, the Similan Islands are home to a huge variety of marine life with incredible opportunities to see rare and endangered species.
While the underwater world is the main attraction there are also many varieties of birds and animals on land to provide an unforgettable experience.
In January 2011, the Thai Ministry responsible for the Similan and other Marine National parks announced an indefinite ban on diving and snorkeling at certain islands. This is intended to allow the coral to recover from bleaching due to recent above average water temperatures.
Dive Centres, tour operators and resorts will advise on availability of sites when customers book or make enquiries.
The National Park closes to all diving and snorkelling from May to the beginning of November each year because of sea conditions and to allow maintenance and aid coral growth and recovery.
Similan Snorkelling Tour
- Pick up from your hotel and drive to Tap Lamu Pier.
- Check in and fit your snorkelling gear. Enjoy complimentary coffee, tea and toast.
- Depart from Tap Lamu Pier to the Similan Islands by speed boat.
- Enjoy swimming and snorkelling in crystal clear water at Koh Payu (Island No.7).
- Visit Koh Miang (Island No.4) for snorkelling and relaxing on the white sandy beach.
- Enjoy Thai set lunch on Koh Miang.
- Enjoy swimming and snorkelling in crystal clear water at Koh Ba Ngu (Island No.9).
- Explore the beautiful beach at Koh Similan (Island No.8) or climb to the Sail Rock Viewpoint.
- Arrive back at Tap Lamu Pier and return to your hotel.